Monday, May 18, 2009

June Bride


Well I guess I'm into weddings this month! I just finished the display for the deli. I was looking at Martha Stewart on-line and found a last minute project that (I think) really makes the window. Martha had the templates for the letters in the banner, it was so easy all you had to do was download A-Z letters, print out and cut out with a big 3" circular punch. Then I punched 2 adjacent holes in the circles so I could string them on a pretty ribbon. I think this idea would be cute for Halloween as well, on orange paper, strung on black ribbon!

Kind of a cute side note: after I had finished the window, a young couple walking down the street with their photographer stopped by. And he took their engagement picture as they gazed into the window and held hands. I'm assuming he caught their reflection. It will probably be a neat picture. Wish I could see it!

I also wanted to make something that looked like a wedding cake, so I pondered how to do that using exising materials I had. So I used some cardboard from a beer case box, formed it into 2 cylindars, and then topped off each cylindar with a circle so I could stack the 2 "cake" sections on top of each other. Then I wrapped it in lace-look paper, added flowers, ribbon and tulle and voila! The cake stand I made as well. The base is a plate I got at a rummage sale, and the stem is a glass candle holder - just a little hot glue holds it together.
For the tables this month I used old wedding patterns that I purchased for about 30 cents each, some color copy bride images and bits and pieces of lace. I pulled out the directions, some of the pattern pieces and just kind of layered everything together and put the glass back on the tables. On some of the larger tables I even used the patterns for the trains, the were still pretty long, so folded them in half. I had an afterthought of maybe sticking the lyrics for the song: by the light of the silvery moon in there as well, but we'll see. The lyrics are kind of neat, such old fashioned romance:

By the light, of the silvery moon,
I want to spoon,
To my honey I'll croon love's tune.
Honey moon, keep a-shinin' in June.
Your silv'ry beams will bring love's dreams,
We'll be cuddlin' soon,
By the silvery moon.